BUILDING USE POLICY
Part A: Permission for Building Use
The Priority for Building Use is in the following order:
- Church groups: Regularly scheduled meetings to carry out the mission of the Church.
- Church-related groups: Church-sponsored organizations; interfaith groups, youth policy development groups, and groups which carry out the purposes of the Church.
- Outside groups: Church recognized yet non-sponsored events that are in keeping with the building use philosophy embraced by the United Methodist Church.
On rare occasions, these groups may be moved to accommodate an event of greater importance, e.g. a wedding, a funeral, etc. When this happens, alternate arrangements with the preempted group will be made.
The facilities of the Church are NOT available for the following that includes, but not limited to: partisan purposes; recruitment of members for clubs outside of the Church; private enterprise; gambling; fundraising purposes for organizations outside the Church and conflict with the UMC Social Principles; activities that require fees for attendance; and any event that conflicts with the mission, philosophy, doctrines and Social Principles of the United Methodist Church.
Fundraising activities on Sunday mornings are discouraged. However, if the requested fundraising activity is approved by Finance, groups will be limited to one table in the lobby.
An Application for Use of Facility form must be submitted to the Business Administrator. It will include information about the nature of the group and event, the name and contact information of the responsible party, the dates, times, and space requested for the function as well as set up and equipment needs. Only those rooms listed on the Facilities Use Form are available for reservation.
All Groups will receive a copy of this Building Use Policy at the time of requesting a Building Use Form.
- Refer to Part C: Building Use Fees that apply to Other groups.
- Church groups and Church-related groups have use of the building at no charge, subject to available space, as determined by the master calendar in the office.
- Individual members of the Church may request the use of the building for personal use, subject to this Building Use Policy.
- Other than weddings, any usage reserved more than two months in advance may be preempted by Church activities, but not less than two months before the event.
- Other groups may apply to the Business Administrator for the use of our facilities, subject to availability.
- All ongoing or recurring use of the facility by Outside groups will require approval of the Board of Trustees.
The Board of Trustees, in consultation with the Senior Pastor, may decline any request for building use at their discretion.
Part B: Guidelines for Building Use
- A Facility Use Form must be completed by a representative of the organization after the function has been approved and added to the Master Calendar. The completed form will include a drawing of the desired set-up of the needed space.
- Requests for set-ups of tables and chairs, podium, flip chart, etc. must be stated completely on the Facility Use Form.
- All group activities are restricted to the assigned room.
- Set-up and takedown of furniture and equipment will only be done under the supervision of custodian or Church staff.
- Church Business Hours are Monday through Thursday, 9:00 am – 3:00 pm and Fridays 9:00 am until 12:00 Noon . Any group using the facility must arrange for access to the building outside these times.
- The facility must be left ready for its next scheduled use. If a custodian is needed outside regular working hours for take-down and clean-up to accomplish this, an extra fee will be applied as stated in Part C: Building Use Fees.
- If no individual is available to staff the building during these off-hours, usage may be denied.
- The assigned custodian or Church staff will serve as the Church’s representative should questions or needs arise during the event.
- Church staff or the custodian will be available to provide an overview of the Church facilities (e.g. restrooms, fire exits, etc.). Emergency contacts and phone numbers will be provided.
- All Outside groups or persons requesting use of Church facilities must adhere to the Church’s Reducing the Risk Guidelines regarding minors. A copy of this Guideline will be provided upon approval. A minimum of 2 adults must be present at all times.
- Dining or the serving of food is limited to the Wesley Center or Fellowship Hall.
- The Lobby is used as a fellowship area only and limited to finger foods.
- Groups using the facilities may use the kitchen facilities to make coffee. Cooking or food preparation is not allowed unless arrangements are made with the Board of Trustees. Outside groups using the Fellowship Hall or the Wesley Center may serve food that has been brought in by a caterer. All groups must provide their own supplies and equipment such as cups, silver, serving bowls, etc.
- No food or drinks may be left in the refrigerators or on the Church premises.
- In the event that any food is served, the group is expected to remove all garbage and deposit in the dumpster provided in parking lot.
- No alcoholic beverages, illegal drugs, weapons or smoking are permitted anywhere on the Church premises.
- Uses of candles, fireworks, fires, etc. are prohibited.
- Decorations may not be affixed (nailed, taped, etc.) to walls, doors, windows coverings, pews, painted surfaces, etc. Seek advice from the Church Staff and/or custodian prior to decorating. Board of Trustees may also be consulted.
- No animals (except for companion or guide dogs) are allowed inside the Church facilities or on the premises.
- Groups must observe, obey and comply with all applicable City, County, State and Federal laws, rules and regulations.
- The capacity of each room will not exceed any posted fire code capacities.
- Signage must be approved by Church staff.
- Each group or organization must designate a representative who will consult with the Church staff in advance of the event and be responsible for:
- Custody of a key, if needed, and unlocking and relocking all doors and windows.
- Accounting for financial damages to the facility or property and will be billed by the Business Administrator for an amount equal to the replacement cost for the damages.
- Basic clean-up, such as putting trash in dumpster and otherwise leaving the Church facility in the same condition as at the beginning of the event.
- Present for the entire time of the event.
- Providing Certificate of Insurance coverage naming First United Methodist Church of Palatine as an additional insured that MUST be on file prior to the date of the event by all Outside groups to First United Methodist Church for the purpose of covering liability and property damage or accidents that might occur on Church property. The evidence must show a minimum of $1 million limit of liability coverage and $5,000 limit of medical payments coverage
o Any stolen personal property or personal injuries sustained or as a result of activities conducted during the rental hours, in preparation of the event or during the clean up of the Church after the event.
o Unauthorized portions of the church not utilized during the event.
Violation of any Guideline or regulations could lead to the loss of eligibility to use the Church.
The Board of Trustees, in consultation with the Senior Pastor, may waive any portion of the Building Use Policy at their discretion.
Part C: Building Use Fees
The Building Use Policy is the guideline establishing all Building Use Fees. All Fees are paid through the Building Administrator’s Office no less than two weeks before the date of the usage. There is a cancellation fee of 20% that is not refundable. Members are allowed use of the building at no charge. The Fees for non-members, who are sponsored by a member (Member Sponsored) or considered a “friend of the Church” are 50% of those for Non-Members, as described below.
If the cancellation is due to an unexpected event at the Church (e.g. funeral) and no alternative room is available, a full refund will be provided.
FACILITY FEES ARE AS FOLLOWS:
If the scheduled event exceeds the reserved time, the responsible party will be billed by the Business Administrator for the additional time as defined below.
The fee for Custodial Services outside of regular hours is $50 per hour for both members and non-members.
- If a custodian is required (outside regular working hours) the fee is $50 per hour, with a two hour minimum.
- Groups are responsible for damage done to any Church equipment or furnishings. There will be a fee of $50 per damage incident, in addition to the cost of repair or replacement by the Church.
The Board of Trustees, in consultation with the Senior Pastor, may waive or modify the above listed fees at their discretion.
A Facilities Use Form must be completed by groups and submitted to the Business Administrator at least two weeks in advance of the activity. All facilities, set-ups and other service needs must be included on the form.
Outside groups using the facility must provide a Certificate of Liability and Property Damage insurance coverage naming First United Methodist Church of Palatine as an additional insured prior to the date of the event.
Approved by Church Council January 2017